Friday, July 27, 2012

Some Older Pieces of Mine


The next few posts are just pictures of things I’ve done in the past before this crazy AP Art course came along, so bear with me. This particular post will show drawings and paintings from my freshman and sophomore years.

However, the first piece is the weird exception to the rule: I think I did it when I was around ten years old, I’m not sure. I was bored one day and decided to paint with watercolors, and this image came into my head. Will it hang in a museum or other prestigious exhibit with (one day) my other pieces? Probably not. But I found this piece in a notebook a few years ago when I really started getting serious about art and it just inspires me so much. It helps me to keep going if I get stuck on a sketch or I hit a roadblock with a painting. So there you have it:

The next one is from freshman year (2009-2010). It is a watercolor painting of a butterfly, so I have creatively named it “Watercolor Butterfly.” I know it’s not perfect, but considering I was a puny little freshman at the time, I’m proud of it:

Moving on to sophomore year (2010-2011), here’s a drawing of an autumn tree for a typography assignment: “Fall Text Tree.” If you look closely, you can see that the entire drawing is made of letters of words like fall, autumn, wind, etc. I really like it and want to do more typography soon:

Next, I participated in the Deborah Heart Challenge and Art Competition both sophomore and junior years, and this challenge’s only requirement was that the piece contain a human heart. I made a heart out of cardboard and tried to make it look like it was put together with things like zippers and chains and stuff like that. “Broken Heart”

One of my favorite pieces of all time, this is called, “I’m Spying on You.” I love working with pen and ink and making extremely fine details and intricate designs. This work had three inspirations: Harry Clarke, The Wizard of Oz, and Alice in Wonderland:


Here’s a piece I made with oil pastel and one GIANT piece of butcher paper. I had to incorporate the human skeleton, muscle, and skin somehow, so I used sign language to spell the word “Free” with hands:


Another watercolor piece, this is just a nice landscape with a rainbow sunset and blue and purple flowers:

Ever heard the phrase, “Music is the soundtrack of my life?” Well, guess what-it’s true. This piece proves it. “Music = Life:”

Finally, I ended sophomore year with a bang with this self-portrait. I just gridded the paper and drew designs in the square and around myself. This IS my favorite piece I’ve done so far:

That's it for my earlier pieces. The next post is all junior year, everyone's FAVORITE year of high school (yeah, right)

No comments:

Post a Comment